Monday, April 18, 2011

Hummus

Hummus, a Middle-Eastern dish, is made from chickpeas (garbanzo beans), tahini (a sesame paste), lemon juice, olive oil, and spices. Hummus has complex carbohydrates, amino acids, vitamin C, Omega-3, among other nutritional benefits.

You can add other flavors to hummus, like roasted red bell peppers, which are really good.

You can use hummus as a dip for vegetables and chips, a spread on crackers or breads, but my favorite is on rice cakes. We get brown rice cakes, and I put on the hummus with a spoon (it's easier than an knife). Hummus on rice cakes makes a tasty snack.

Next time you crave something crunchy and little sweet and salty, try hummus on rice cakes!

2 comments:

  1. I was an adult the first time I got to try hummus. I liked it from the first moment it hit my taste buds! I like it in all the ways you suggest. My favorite lunch out,though, is when I get to go to a Mediterranian Restaurant and have a Falafel. It is a yummy salad in a pocket bread that has "meatballs" made out of fried hummus, DELICIOUS! If you haven't had a chance to try it yet, I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a picky eater, you do sure like a variety of things! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete